Thursday, March 08, 2012

RtkNGUI64.exe using 25% of my CPU issue and solution

I had a problem with my computer's fans constantly running because RtkNGUI64.exe was using 25% CPU time continuously. The only way I was able to fix the problem was killing the process. There is a problem with killing the process though. All sound would come through the speaker even when I plug in the headphone. Unfortunately, I am working in an open environment so that is unacceptable. I finally found a solution on dell forum by cheshirecat179. Here is the link to the thread.

The problem has to do with a missing registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SRS Labs/APO). RtkNGUI64.exe looks for a the registry key and since it is not there, it keeps on trying. The solution is to add the registry key.

Here are the steps from the post:
Click the Windows Orb button thing (Start Button)
In the search bar, type regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE
Right click "SOFTWARE" and left click "New", then "Key"
Name it "SRS Labs" (without quotes)  - that's one
Next, right click "SRS Labs", left click "new" then left click "Key" again
Name it "APO" (without quotes)

8 comments:

Ekharion said...

TX! Works like a charm!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. This was driving me nuts!!

Unknown said...

Not working for me =/

Anonymous said...

Fast and easy solution, thank you sir

Anonymous said...

+100 internet points to you my friend! Thank you!!!!

Unknown said...

This happened to me after I cleaned out my Reg because of a 3DMark problem I had.

This worked 100% and a super-fast simple solution.
Thank for posting this, Kudos to you dear Sir.

Max1234-ITA said...

It was happening to me too (WIn7 64-bit) and I've discovered this solution just today.
Many thanks for this! That full-speed fan was driving me crazy (and my PC so hot). :-)

Actually, I noticed that CPU usage by RtkNGUI64 dropped to zero as soon as the first key was created (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SRS Labs). I've created the second too, anyway.

Thanks again.

Max - Italy

Danny said...

Thanks, this immediately fixed the problem caused by cleaning the registry.